Canvas is adding numbers to titles of Pages within my Modules

Jump to solution
jamie_odonnell
Community Novice

On my Modules page, added page titles are being assigned a number. See the image below. The "-2" at the end of the first page title "NOLS| Step Forward..."

I have gone back and edited each title to delete those numbers but they are automatically added back in. Sometimes a "2" and sometimes a "3" ?

Anyone know why?

Jamie

Screenshot of my Modules page

0 Likes
2 Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Jamie,

This usually happens if you already have a page with the same name.  Each page within a Canvas course must have a unique name.  To test this theory click on Pages on the left side navigation, and then if needed click the View All Pages button to see a list.  Take a look through and see if there might be some duplicates in naming with the numbers at the end of titles for extra copies.

Rick

View solution in original post

JoyKAdams
Community Member

So it used to be that if there was a duplicate page title, you could delete the unnecessary page (i.e., the original page without -2, -3, etc.), edit the title of the page you want to keep to remove the numeral, and all would be right in the world. I literally did this last week with no issues. Now, if I completely DELETE (not just remove from the module, but completely delete) the unneeded page, I can rename the page to remove the numeral, but it stays in the URL, thereby breaking every course link to the renamed page. In addition, today one of these broken course links is taking me to some insanely numbered blank page. I now have to seek and find, and then redo, all internal course links to this page throughout the entire course to fix the issue.

This is now most definitely a bug, and it would be awesome if it could be addressed.

View solution in original post