Canvas keeps adding 1 point to an ungraded survey

Jump to solution
PangoChango
Community Explorer

I'm trying to create an ungraded survey (titled "Progress Report") consisting of 4 questions.

Even though each question is set to "0" points (see attached), as soon as I save it all, and then try to add the Survey to a Module, it ends up being worth 1 point (and "1 pts" is displayed) next to it. 

Is there a way to prevent Canvas from adding that 1 point? 

canvas-survey-a.jpgcanvas-survey-b.jpg

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @PangoChango ...

That's an interesting observation, and to be honest, I don't really have an explanation for you.  I was able to create the same scenario in my own sandbox course.  But, the good news is...even though it does indicate that the ungraded survey is worth 1 point on the "Modules" page, each question still is 0 points when a student takes the survey.  But, in my opinion, that really doesn't matter...because ungraded surveys aren't calculated in the Gradebook.  You won't find a column for your ungraded survey in the Gradebook.  So, while this may be a bit confusing because of the "1 pts" display on your "Modules" screen, you might be able to quickly remedy this by providing instructions for your students letting them know the survey really isn't worth any points ... and treat it as a true survey.

If you wanted, you could report this as a possible bug to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk so that they can investigate and fix if needed.  How do I contact Canvas Support? - Canvas Community

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...be well.

View solution in original post

benedicte_rokvi
Community Member

Hi there,

If you change the unmarked survey to > marked survey and assign 0 points to it > Save > change it again to unmarked survey.... It should bring the 0 point into the module view....It worked for me 😌

View solution in original post