Change Last Name on Canvas Account

Jump to solution
KatieS2
Community Member

I changed my last name with my university,  but they said they cannot make changes to my Canvas account. They told me to contact Canvas.  Who can I contact/ or how do I make changes in order to take care of this issue?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @KatieS2 , depending in which country or jurisdiction you are in there may be a legal requirement for the institution to allow you to nominate an alternative name or update to a married name, or in some countries or HE systems they may be required to keep an earlier name.

This is a live topic due to the number of students who seek to progress identity transition in their move to HE, and don't wish their former identity to be known. It is also relevant where a student has external issues that means they require a nom de plume.

As @sjones11  andper @Hildi_Pardo, identify, this is within the technological gift of the Canvas Administrator, however it is also a regulatory issue for the institution.

This should be a fairly routine request that your local student services team can help with - there should be a process - if you get pushback your student union may be able to support.

Good luck 

View solution in original post

0 Likes