Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsloman

Can you direct Chat to only your class as you can a discussion?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ryan_corris
Advocate

@lsloman  & clarken, I have just stated looking into chats myself, but everything I have seen leads me to believe that chats are available to everyone in a course and cannot be set to specific sections.  If I find out differently, I will return and adjust my answer.

An alternative to the chat would be creating a discussion for each section and assigning it only to that section.  Would this be something that works for your situation?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
lsloman
clarken

I have this question too!

We would like to allow instructors to chat with only one section at a time. This becomes an issue in cases where there may be 4 instructors and 4 sections of a course.

covid-19‌ #canvas_chat

ryan_corris
Advocate

@lsloman  & clarken, I have just stated looking into chats myself, but everything I have seen leads me to believe that chats are available to everyone in a course and cannot be set to specific sections.  If I find out differently, I will return and adjust my answer.

An alternative to the chat would be creating a discussion for each section and assigning it only to that section.  Would this be something that works for your situation?

Hi Ryan

Thanks for replying

Yes, we are pretty sure that this is the case.

We thought about using Chat to mark school Rolls but have decided that using the discussions is a better option for us.

Regards

Lydia

Hi Ryan,

It would be preferable to use Chat for its wonderful real-time communication ability (highlighted in the recent Learning-From-Home situation) and lack of a requirement to manually refresh, but Discussions will have to do for now!

Totally makes sense clarken .  At least there are some options.  One other thing I found out about Chat is that when it is turned on at the account level, it is enabled for every course whether the instructor wants it on or not.  I have created an Idea to be voted on called https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16435-disable-chat-by-default?sr=search&searchId=39ed9833-810a...‌.  I would appreciate any and all votes so we do not have to remind instructors to turn it off every time new courses are created.

Thanks!