Content Visibility per Section

Jump to solution
HituSood
Community Member

Hello,

I have a question regarding my current situation. I currently have one course enabled with four sections, each having multiple students. I have created a baseline course shell, but I am unsure about how to make it visible to the right section/s, including pages, syllabus, assignments, etc. I am concerned that if I tick the publish checkbox, it will be applied to all the sections within the course making it visible to ALL of the students inside the course. Can someone please clarify this for me? Your prompt assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @HituSood ...

Yes, if you have a single course with multiple sections in it, when you publish the course:

How do I publish a course?

...it will make the content available for all students in the course.

If you are wanting only certain students to have access, it's common for you to have multiple course shells each with their own section number.  For example, you might have four separate course shells for "English 101"...each labeled with it's own course number: ENG101-1, ENG101-2, ENG101-3, and ENG101-4.  That way, you can publish only the courses that you want...when you want.  The one complication with this, however, is that if the curriculum is the same for all four courses, then you are having to maintain four separate courses.  In a previous Canvas admin role at a college in Wisconsin, some of our faculty had many sections of the same course, so it was common for them to have 2, 3, or 4 Canvas courses that had the same curriculum.

There may be other suggestions from folks here in the Community that teach courses in Canvas that have suggestions on what has worked for them, so I would welcome that feedback to this topic as well.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Take care...be well.

View solution in original post