Copied assignment deleted previous assignment

Jump to solution
mpjimenez
Community Member

I created an assignment in a current course called HW2 Short Story and created a rubric to match. 

Last night, I opened a previous course to copy an assignment I had made there and I wanted to use in this current course. After the Copy Content was finished, when I went to edit the assignment, I noticed that HW2 was gone, along with the rubric. The copied assignment had copied itself and the corresponding rubric into HW2. 

I found HW2 in the undelete hack and clicked restore. The assignment text and rubric didn't restore and now they are also missing from the undelete page. 

Fortunately, my students' submissions for HW2 are still there, but I'll have to recreate the text and the rubric from my shoddy memory. Unless someone knows a different hack?

More importantly, how do I prevent this from happening again in a couple of weeks when I have to copy the final exam that my department created?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
gnoack
Community Champion

Hi Mpjimenez, 

I don't know of a way to restore the lost work, unfortunately. 

Were you using the Import Content tool or the new(ish) Copy assignment tool.  I've been using the copy assignment tool and my experience is that if I copy an assignment to a course that has an assignment with the same name, it renames the new assignment by adding a 1 to the end of the name (or something like that).  It doesn't replace the content.  If you haven't been using that tool, I recommend it.  It's much easier. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-copy-an-assignment-to-another-course/ta...

View solution in original post