Create a Volunteer Management System - And Link to Required Courses

Jump to solution
tridoc1
Community Member

This is part one of a multi-faceted question.

I'm the director of a student run free clinic for a large healthcare university. We have huge numbers of students and licensed professionals who volunteer for these events every year, plus hundreds of students who attend the events as credit for required courses.  

We had a custom crafted volunteer management system to manage all our events.  It is extremely robust and amazing. However. The designer has moved on, and every year, it becomes more and more difficult to troubleshoot problems & keep it functional. 

I am creating a primary umbrella course as a central repository for the events and required pre-requisites.  I need to be able to link the different individual courses to it.  I'd appreciate any help with part one of my dilemma.

Thx!  mm

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @tridoc1 

I believe that you might be asking about the possible visibility options that can be setup for your courses Canvas. Feel free to Correct me if I am wrong 🙂 

HERE is the guide on that setting. If you don't have the ability to edit this, you might need to adjust some of the settings in the account, if you are an admin. If you're not an admin, you can try to reach out to your institutions Canvas admin team for that. 

There are three options: 

Course: The course is available to all users associated (enrolled) in the course. This option is the default setting.

Institution: The course is available to users associated with this institution. This option allows users in your institution to view your course before they enroll in the course. For this option, users can only view the course if course self-enrollment is enabled or the course is included in the Public Course Index. ‬
The course content shown to authenticated users is the same content shown to the public for publicly visible courses.

Public. The course is available to anyone with the URL. If a public course is unaccessible to unauthenticated users, your institution may require a login and password to view all courses within their Canvas instance.

Are you just trying to make it so that you have some of your umbrella courses setup so that anyone at your institution can access the courses? 

There isn't a way to directly link one course to another. You can always place links in the main course to the umbrella courses if the visibility settings allow for it. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton

View solution in original post

0 Likes