Creating a column in grade book with a running total of points from selected columns

Jump to solution
JulieBroadbent
Community Member

My campus just switched from Blackboard to Canvas. In Blackboard you could set up a column that would add up points from columns you individually selected to produce a running total that students could use to see how they were performing as they completed assignments. I can't figure out how to do this on Canvas. I can't use the automatically created columns Canvas creates because they look at all the columns and I need it to ignore some columns in grade book. I need to specify which scores are added into the total. Can anyone help?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JulieBroadbent ...

You might be able to accomplish something similar to what you had in Blackboard by using Assignment Groups in your Canvas course.  You would first set up the Assignment Groups on your "Assignments" index page, and then you would put the assignments that you want to be in that running total within the Assignment Group that you had created.  Then, in your "Grades" page, you'd scroll all the way over to the right, and you'd have a new column with the same name as the Assignment Group name that you created.  For example, you might have an Assignment Group called "Quizzes" and another Assignment Group called "Essays".  Assignment Groups can also be weighted (so Quizzes might be 25% of the total grade and Essays might be 75% of the total grade).  Students can then go to their own "Grades" page and view this Assignment Group name that you created.

Do you think this might work for your needs?  Keep us posted...thanks!

View solution in original post

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I concur with @Chris_Hofer. I recommend that you create Assignment Groups. Then "weight" the Assignment Groups. When the students click on Grades, they should scroll down to the bottom of the list. There, they will see both the number of points they have earned for each Assignment Group as well as their percentage for that Group.

View solution in original post