cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristineAhern
Community Member

Discussion Notification Emails work in one course, but not another - why?

Jump to solution

As an admin, I can't figure out why I am getting notifications when a new discussion thread is started in one course, and not another, when the settings look identical to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It must be something very simple that I just don't know.

Email notifications work with this course:
crash course settings.png

But I'm not receiving notifications via email for this course:
Author Illustrator Course settings.png

All are under the same profile and settings. I'd appreciate any help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristineAhern
Community Member

Thanks for your comment. As I suspected, it was my fault. I misunderstood the notification settings for "Discussion Post". I thought that if I checked the box to get notified immediately, I would get an email everytime someone posted. I didn't see the small print that it was only for discussions that I subscribed to. We're all set now! I appreciate this community!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristineAhern
Community Member

I wanted to add that the teacher of the course where I'm not getting the email notifications is not receiving them either.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @ChristineAhern ...

There are two different screens where you can set up your notification preferences.  One screen is via your "Account" >> "Notifications" screen.  These are essentially "global" notifications" that would apply to all courses.  But, you can also set notifications at the course level.  So, one recommendation for you would be to first set your "global" notifications, and then you can do a bit more customization at the course level.

Check both of these areas of your notifications to see if that will help at all.  If you are still having issues after that, you may need to reach out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk for further assistance.  How do I contact Canvas Support? - Instructure Community

Please keep us posted here in the Community...thanks!

ChristineAhern
Community Member

Thanks for your comment. As I suspected, it was my fault. I misunderstood the notification settings for "Discussion Post". I thought that if I checked the box to get notified immediately, I would get an email everytime someone posted. I didn't see the small print that it was only for discussions that I subscribed to. We're all set now! I appreciate this community!

View solution in original post