Does Resetting Course Content Keep the Students Enrolled in the Course?

Jump to solution
lisautah
Community Member

When you use the "Reset Course Content" function in Settings, does it unenroll the students, too, or do they stay enrolled in the course? 

I'm trying to reset a continuing education course for the new year. I need to keep the same students and link to the course, but clear all of the grades, comments, and uploaded files. Ideally, I would like to keep all of the assignment content, but I haven't been able to find a clean way to do that. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @lisautah 

I would check with your school's admin folks before resetting a course in which students have submitted work. Every state has retention rules and every school has a retention policy.

The correct solution would be to create a new course, and copy the content you want to keep into the new course How do I copy content from another Canvas course........?

You can then cross-list the course to copy the enrollments into the new course shell How do I crosslist a section in a course.............?

Many schools restrict teachers from cross-listing, so you might need to get your school's Canvas admin to take care of that piece.

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes