cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?

How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?

Cross-listing allows you to move section enrollments from individual courses and combine them into one course. This feature is helpful for instructors who teach several sections of the same course and only want to manage course data in one location. Instructors can allow students to view users in other sections or limit them to only view users in the same section. Section names do not change when they are cross-listed; the section is just moved to another course.

Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished. Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a published course is cross-listed, all cross-listed enrollments will lose any associated assignment submissions and grades.

To cross-list a course, you must know the name of the course or the course ID into which you are cross-listing. However, using a course ID is a better way to confirm you are cross-listing a section into the correct course. You can find the course ID by opening the course and viewing the number at the end of the browser URL (e.g. account.instructure.com/courses/XXXXXX).

Sections can only be in one course at a time. Once a section is cross-listed, you can re-cross-list the section into another course if necessary.

This lesson shows how to manually cross-list a section, though cross-listing can also be done through SIS imports. For more information on cross-listing, view the cross-listing video.

Notes:

• Cross-listing a section is a course permission. If you are an instructor and cannot view the cross-list options, this feature has been restricted by your institution.
  • If you are an instructor and are allowed to cross-list, you may choose to de-cross-list a section. This option means that you can send the section back to the original course. If there is a chance you want to de-cross-list a section, make sure you add yourself to another section in the original course before cross-listing, otherwise you will no longer have access in the original course. If you have already cross-listed a course that you cannot de-cross-list, contact your Canvas admin.
  • Before you can cross-list a section, the course must contain at least one enrollment.

Open Course Settings

Open Course Settings

In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.

Open Sections

Open Sections

Click the Sections tab.

Open Section

Open Section

Click the title of the section you want to cross-list.

Cross-List Section

Cross-List Section

Click the Cross-List this Section button.

Search for Course

Search for Course

In the Search for Course field [1], enter the name of the course into which you are cross-listing. Or, in the Course ID field [2], enter the ID number for the course.

Cross-List this Section

Cross-List this Section

Confirm you have selected the correct course [1]. Click the Cross-List This Section button [2].

Confirm Cross-Listing

The cross-listed section now appears in the new course. The breadcrumbs show the new course code.

Re-Cross-List Section

Re-Cross-List Section

Sections can only be in one course at a time. If you need to cross-list the section into a different course, click the Re-Cross-List this Section button.

Comments

I followed all the steps but when I get to the place where I am supposed to click Cross List Class, that Cross-list selection tab is not there.

Please help!!

Hi @LaurieK,

There could be a couple reasons why it's not coming up. Does your course contain at least one enrollment? Sections must include at least one enrollment to be cross-listed. Cross-listing is also a course permission. If you're unable to view the cross-list options, this feature has been restricted by your institution. If that's the case, you can reach out to your school's Canvas admin to request access or assistance cross-listing.

Naomi

Ok. on cross listing, I know you can put all the module stuff across this, will it also show assignments, quizzes, discussions across all the sections?

If I cross-list sections and I choose to make a meeting on the calendar for a Live virtual lesson can I make different ones for the different sections? Or does the same invite go to all the classes cross-sectioned? 

We are looking at for specific periods like I teach the same class 1st, 2nd and 3rd period, I would like to edit the content together to be efficient with my time, however, I do live lessons with 1st period at 9:30 on M, W and 2nd period 9:30 T, Th and 10:10 M, W for 3rd period.. is this possible if they are cross sectioned. 

Help!  I followed all these steps, and got a message that the section was successfully cross listed, but it shows up as an added section with zero users, and it cannot see the users that I know are already inside the course that I crosslisted.  (I can click on both course names and see all users published in the individual course pages, but when I follow these steps to crosslist, the new "crosslisted" page  cannot see any of the other users. )

A very related clarification: WHICH course to I do these steps in, the Parent course that I want to host the other crosslisted course inside of, or do I do all these steps in the Nested course and crosslist the course that I want to be the parent?)  

@davidyost1315 yes, since you're cross-listing multiple sections into one course, everything in that one course should appear there for all sections (assuming you've assigned it to all sections). Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

@Maitnerap yes, you can do that. Please see this guide for further reference: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-set-a-different-event-date-for-each-sec...

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

@hkabat that is odd that the enrollments aren't showing up. Can you confirm that in the "child" (cross-listing from) course that the students are enrolled in the section you cross-listed? And you do these directions from the "child" course (you select the section that you want to cross-list into the main course). Does that make sense? Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

I have three classes I am cross listing. I can see period 3 and period 4 students have successfully cross listed to period 1 (my parent class). However, I can't see any of my period 1 students when I click on the people tab in period 1. I only see periods 3 and 4? How do I fix this, please? 🙂

First time asking a question...

I currently teach 6 sections of sophomore English and it's further complicated due to 12 sections for hybrid (2 sections per period). Copying the same assignment 12 times is time consuming. I would like to cross list, but have multiple assignments, grades, etc. already in each section. If I am willing to export my gradebook and enter manually, if necessary, are there other negatives to creating an umbrella course?

I also have independent zoom meetings set for each section. I am thinking about using announcements, if I choose to change to an umbrella course, to be able to continue each class clicking on own meeting. Is this possible, recommended? Is there a better solution so that all classes do not have the same zoom meeting codes in one umbrella course?

@podhanm that is a strange issue and not one that I've encountered before. I recommend contacting our Canvas Support team for help troubleshooting why that's the issue. It sounds like you've done everything correctly and are experiencing buggy behavior. You can contact our support via one of these methods: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-an-instructor/t... 

Thanks,

- Nathan

@mrshuntereng 

As long as you're aware that content, submissions, and grades do NOT transfer over when you cross-list sections, there aren't really any adverse affects to cross-listing sections of the same course into one umbrella course. You can manage it so students can only interact with students of the same section, assign activities to each section individually, designate announcements for each section, and create zoom meetings for each individual section. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

I cross-listed a course without realizing that the assignment submissions, discussion replies and grades do not get moved. Is there a way to fix this? Or should I just de-cross list the course? Thanks

When i follow these steps, I can get 2 classes linked but then when I try and link the others, I get this message, Course ID "88310" not authorized for cross-listing?  What does this mean?

HI @csmejkal , 

Thanks for posting your question! I reviewed the document and checked the course you're trying to crosslist. In the lesson description above (the blue section), we note that courses can only be crosslisted if they have enrollments. It looks as though the course you're attempting to crosslist doesn't have any enrollments. 

Hopefully that helps answer your question! If there's anything else we can help clarify, or if we can answer any follow-up questions for you, please reach out. My teammates and I will do our best to help. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

Hello, 

I am in a unique situation. I have students who have been "pulled" from the powerschool rosters that are either in 7th honors math (let's call these students A, B, and C) or 8th honors math (let's call these students D, E, and F). Our school is unique in the sense that some of these 7th graders are in one class and the other 7th graders are in another class, and the same with 8th grade. So, student A, D, and E are in one class. Then, student B, C, and F are in another. While cross-linking, is it possible to only pull certain students from the group or do you have to pull the whole section in?

Hi @kristingarner,

When cross-listing, you do not have the option to select the users you wish to cross-list. When sections are cross-listed, all section enrollments are cross-listed as well.

Cody 

Thanks for these directions. I cross-sectioned my courses!

HOWEVER the names of the courses are SLIGHTLY different. I put all of them under 1 course, and now the name is not correct (it's a multi-grade course, and students are sectioned by grade .... Grade 6 CLASS, Grade 7 CLASS, etc.).  Is there a way to CHANGE the name of a course on my own?  

OR should I have created a new course and then cross-sectioned all of my existing courses into the new course?

THANKS!

Hi @shpickell,

You can change the course name from the your Course Settings or change the nickname from the Dashboard.

Hope this helps!

Cody

I successfully cross-listed two courses last week, then attempted to cross-list another class yesterday and it deleted the original course (with all the materials I had already published...) Help? 🙂

Hi @lwasbotten,

Oh no! I'd recommend the Undeleting things in Canvas blog post for steps on undeleting things in Canvas. If, for some reason, that doesn't do the trick, I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support for further assistance.  

Naomi

My courses have been cross listed.  However, I am not able to set separate Zoom meetings for each of my sections.  Is this possible?  Please advise.

Hi @butlerl2

I recommend checking out this question asked (and answered) in the Q&A. There are some good tips in that thread that might help! 

- Allie 

Howdy, Everyone! What's the difference between a Master Class and Cross-listing? I am losing TONS OF TIME with copying Every.Single.Assignment from my second period class, then to my third period class, then to my fifth period class, then to my sixth period class. Yikes! I have to copy every link each time I post. I am new to Canvas and have only been using it for 7 days live with students, and I salivate thinking there is a way to do a job with few clicks than I am currently doing. Please help! I am clicking myself to distraction over here 🙂 Our whole school is new to this (about 8 teachers piloted it last year), but with the pandemic and remote learning, we were thrown into Canvas with only a few days of training. I REALLY LIKE this program's potential, but right now I feel as I'm using so little of its power. It's like using a mega-powerful laptop as little more than a word processor. Please help me unharness the power of a Master Class or cross-listing: I don't even know which one applies. I DO know that our administrator said we cannot use a Master Class because that puts all the students in one section?? Or something like that. She is a great administrator; no complaints; I think she is trying to ease us into the program. But I would like to be a trailblazer and know how I can simplify clerical work of listing assignments, etc., when I have four sections of the same course:  American Literature. Thank you!

@MaryCatherine 

Thanks for the question! I'm not sure what a Master Class is referencing, that's not a term that I'm familiar with. However, it sounds like you absolutely want to use cross-listing if you have the same or mostly the same assignments and content across 4 sections. What cross-listing does is take all of your separate classes that have one section and pull them into a "parent" course. You cross-list all the sections from the other courses into just one course. In that "parent" course, you can manage each section individually (there's even an option to not allow students to see or interact with students in other sections) and students won't even really know they've all been combined into one course. But on the teacher side, you can manage assignments, pages, grades, etc. all in one course instead of jumping between 4 courses. If your admin is ok with it, I think you should absolutely set up cross-listing as it sounds like it will save you tons of time. The only potential issue is if your school uses a SIS (student information system) to track grades/attendance/etc. that requires separate Canvas courses instead of sections. If not, it shouldn't cause any issues. You can watch our short video on cross-listing if you need a quick overview to understand how it works and how to cross-list correctly. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: