cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmayers
Community Member

Downloading rubric scores

Jump to solution

I am writing a report for accreditation purposes. yeah.  The KPI requires documentation from Canvas rubrics.  (80% of students will receive a "satisfactory" on assignment x in course y.)    Is it possible to download in a spreadsheet all of the students' rubric scores from a particular assignment?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@lmayers  

I think you're talking about something like this (initial post and follow-up are the two criteria in my rubric).

333044_pastedImage_2.png

If so, this functionality does not exist within that core Canvas product.

It is possible to download the rubrics through the API and create a spreadsheet. I wrote a script to do this before the Fall 2019 term, but never finished it to a point it was ready for publication. It's functional for what you're asking about, just not where I wanted it to be before I released it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
James
Community Champion

@lmayers  

I think you're talking about something like this (initial post and follow-up are the two criteria in my rubric).

333044_pastedImage_2.png

If so, this functionality does not exist within that core Canvas product.

It is possible to download the rubrics through the API and create a spreadsheet. I wrote a script to do this before the Fall 2019 term, but never finished it to a point it was ready for publication. It's functional for what you're asking about, just not where I wanted it to be before I released it.

View solution in original post

mweilan
Community Participant

Is this script ready by chance?  It would save me a TON of time.  Thank you

kendall_hunter
Community Member

@James not sure if you are willing to share your progress on this rubric script, but if you are I would love to try to complete it. I have started using Rubrics extensively and I teach programming to engineers. I don't know userscript but I do know MATLAB, C, and python (among others) and given what I need to do now with Rubrics and how I envision using them in the future, I'd prefer to write the code and generate a lasting solution.

If not no worries... I am reviewing some of your existing scripts seeing if there is a good jumping off point to start my own development...

@kendall_hunter 

It's mainly functional and would meet the needs of most people the way it is. The thing keeping me from publishing it was tied to my Rubric Importer script. I wanted to create a sheet that would export the rubric in a way that you could then make changes and import it back. The issue was that my importer script was written before there were long descriptions (as opposed to just titles) and I need to modify it to include those. When I last looked at it, that was going to be a breaking functionality with the existing importer as I needed to reorder the columns and put the numbers first rather than last.

The one I have creates an Excel file rather than a CSV file. That way it can have multiple types of items in it. There's a raw sheet with just the data, a summary page (like a pivot table), it can add calculations but you have to open it in Excel to actually find the numbers. The exporting of the rubric itself was the last of the major things I wanted to do.

kendall_hunter
Community Member

@James OK. Well, for now, I read up on the API, used it to download json file of a whole assignment at a time (including rubric info), and am using the python json library to interpret/convert the file into CSV. ROTFL!!! Haven't made it clean yet (everything is IDs rather than human readable stuff) but it works for me... Should save countless hours of having to enter the stuff by hand UGH!

Thanks for all your development here. I have come to rely on the sort-rubric userscript.