VivianaOvalle
Community Member

My instructor said to look at our emails and canvas shell course . She had sent an email over the weekend. What is shell course? I recently took a summer class and did well with canvas. I didn't receive any email from her, until recently , but I had reached out to her first . Can someone tell me what shell course is? And how to access it? Thankyou. 

0 Likes
3 Solutions
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Hi @VivianaOvalle,

A Canvas course shell is just a Canvas course!  (The word "shell" doesn't have any special meaning here.) As far as I can tell, all you need to do is log into your Canvas Dashboard and open up your Engl 1A course, just as you have done in the past. If you don't see your Engl 1A course, then your instructor probably hasn't "published" it yet (i.e. made it active). Good luck!

View solution in original post

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@VivianaOvalle 

In addition to what @SusanNiemeyer mentioned, if you are not seeing your course on your dashboard, you will need to make sure that it is not hidden from view.  You need to go to your all courses list and see if the course is there. If so, click on the star at the left of the name so that the course will show on your dashboard.

Here is a link to the manual page describing how to do the above steps.  

If you do not see the course at all, then contact the instructor to make sure they have published the course.

Just in case you are interested, here is a link for how to modify your dashboard view

nwilson7
Community Champion

@VivianaOvalle  What @SusanNiemeyer  and @Ron_Bowman  provided is 100% accurate but I wanted to point out one thing that might be the case. Does your school use generic program courses?  For example, everyone in your grade is in a course, or everyone in a specific program is in a course, and these courses do not have grades or assignments but are just used for sharing information.  We use these a lot and many times, faculty call them course shells (which Susan's definition is the correct definition in that all courses are course shells) because they don't contain actual course content and are just used for communication.  I just wanted to mention this because if your school uses these, the instructor may have sent an announcement or email through that Canvas course and not your English 1A course.  

Good luck with everything!

-Nick