Exclamation Point in Grades for Attendance

Jump to solution
waterrat
Community Explorer

I know there is a simple answer to my problem, but I seem to have this issue every semester and even though I bring over my course settings from one semester to another, I still fumble around with this problem every time. I get it fixed finally by accident, only to forget how by the next term.

Here is the situation: I do not grade attendance and the assignment has no weight in my course. I do take attendance, however. I have set Roll Call Attendance to 0% of the total assignments, checked the box to exclude from final grades, and finally, have marked the whole assignment as ungraded--all of which is true. From an intuitive standpoint, it would seem that Canvas would just ignore it in the gradebook. But no, I have these circled exclamation points that say "Score does not include Attendance because it has no points possible." Students ask about them and I'd just like them to go away.

So what am I doing wrong (constantly, apparently)? I have read and reread the Roll Call Attendance set-up instructions so many times I'm going blind. Title 5 (in California) does not actually allow me to grade attendance even if I wanted to, so this setting, wherever it is, constantly frustrates me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

@waterrat Thank you for the screenshot! You are correct in that it is what I was referring to. I was able to replicate this in my Sandbox and the "error" exclamation symbol you see is more of an alert than an error. You have done everything correctly and the assignment should not be calculating anything. Unfortunately, there is no way to disable this alert with the way the attendance feature is set up. I apologize for any confusion this is causing you or your students and I can offer you a link to our Ideas Page below where you can provide feedback or ideas for improvements in Canvas.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/idb-p/ideas

View solution in original post

0 Likes