Explicit Emoji(s) in Chat (:middle_finger:)

Jump to solution
gbeach1
Community Member

Has anyone come across 🖕 in chat?  We recently reported it to Support and were told our concern needed to be requested as a feature within the forum.

I understand this as course-level configuration, can anyone offer any solutions  in the way of account-level settings, or JS to filter the emoji offerings?

This doesn't seem to be a feature which makes much sense without a configuration interface, especially for our primary students.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi, emojis don't come from Canvas (or Canvas Chat). They come from the different platforms (ie: Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Zoom, etc).  Canvas does not have it's own emojis, so the ones you are seeing come from the device.

What we recommend to our teachers is to hide/disable Chat in the course menu as Chat can be a big distraction, especially for younger students, or if it is not used in a purposeful way.

The use of emojis could certainly be a digital citizenship conversation or lesson.  

How to hide Chat from course menu:    Click Settings => click the Navigation tab => disable Chat (or drag down to disable) => Save

View solution in original post

Hi there, @gbeach1 ...

I've marked @Hildi_Pardo's response as a "Solution" because she has given you some great help!  I thought I'd also point you to the Guide that shows how to rearrange your course navigation buttons...if you wanted that for reference:

How do I manage Course Navigation links?

I hope this extra bit of info will be of help to you.

View solution in original post