External Tool Assignments Are Auto-Grading

Jump to solution
Carter41
Community Participant

I am testing assignments using an external tool called Noteflight and am finding that if a student submits their assignment, they are automatically getting an A (100 score). I would like the opportunity to manually grade the submission based on the quality of the student's work.

If I create a different assignment and use Online > Text as the submission type, then I am given the opportunity to manually grade the assignment as I see fit. This is the expected behavior.

I confirmed the settings for both assignments are identical aside from the submission type.

Any idea why this is happening? Attached is a screenshot of the assignment settings for the external tool assignment. Thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Our colleague @Yorik1971 linked to your question, and I am posting the same answer here (sorry for the late response!):

The best option is to ask Noteflight's developers how their system handles that type of situation in relation to the LTI connection. I found the documentation for the Canvas LTI, which has a section on grading:

Introduction - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

I’m going to mark this reply as a solution. I realize it does not solve your problem, but it will help our colleagues who have a similar question.

View solution in original post