File attachments and links with text entry only assignments

erica_wagner
Community Participant

I've had an issue that is driving me bonkers. I have created some assignments that are set up as text entry only. Students were instructed (as clearly and completely as I could manage) to either type their answers directly in the text box OR they could copy and paste their answer from an outside file they used to create their answers, if they preferred. The idea was so I could just read their assignment right there and not click on file attachments or go to outside sites to read their answers.

However, it seems that with each such assignment, a handful of students turn in a link or an attached file. There is a file or link instead of a text box with their work. I have checked, and file uploads is not enabled for this assignment.  I am basically refusing to grade these, though to be "nice," a am also taking the extra time to re-open the assignment for those students so they can submit it the way I asked them to.

How are students bypassing the format for the assignment, and how can I make it so that text entry is truly the only option they have?

Labels (1)
0 Likes