Fill in the Blank distractors can conflict with correct answers (New Quizzes)

Jump to solution
PaulAustinTx
Community Participant

The fill in the blank question style is awesome! For the complex terms I cover in class the goal is to build familiarity with large set of vocabulary and how terms are related.  One challenge has been that each blank has to have its own set of distractors ( covered in another post -- see below). That can lead to a pretty big word bank. The more significant challenge is that if the correct answer for one blank it the distractor for another blank the result is unpredictable. The grading system see identical answers as different. 

Would it be a crazy idea to solve this by simply having the word bank presentation remove duplicates? Grading would be done by matching just as is done for open entry, so the bug below would go away. 🙂  This approach would avoid changes to the question design system.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 11.46.36 AM.png

I'd truly appreciate consideration of this approach.  It is very helpful to have a singe question that lets students pick words from a bank in order to demonstrate how terms are related to one another. It is far better than simple multiple choice. In some cases ordering and categorization are good solutions, however,  the Fill-in-the-blank with distractors stye is best for many cases.

Thank you
- Paul 

Related post: This post was pretty close. It dealt more with the big word bank. The difference is looking for a way to avoid duplicates and conflicts in the word bank.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Is-it-possible-to-have-a-word-bank-in-new-q...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey there, @PaulAustinTx ...

In reading through your posting here, I don't see that you really have a question...but rather you are suggesting an enhancement to the way that fill-in-the-blank question types work in New Quizzes.  There is a separate area to submit Feature Idea suggestions here in the Community:

Idea Conversations - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Also, here are some documents for you to look through about the feature idea process (these are also linked on the right side of the page I've linked above):

Hopefully these resources will be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

PaulAustinTx
Community Participant

A big Thank You for advice to move to idea thread. It can be followed up here.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Fill-in-the-Blank-distractors-can-conflict-wit...

It does seem a large part of the existing problem is the requirement for each blank to have at least on distractor. more on that in the idea post. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes