Fill-in-the-blank Quizzes: PLEASE implement multiple answer attempts for misspellings

Jump to solution
lotter
Community Explorer
If the fill-in-the-blank answer is photosynthesis and the student answers photosynthisis, it is Autograded wrong. 
I just don't have time to put in all of the ways that students can misspell that word, plus, it is marked as correct if I put that misspelling as acceptable.  
Please implement a "Wrong, try again"  response on those fill-in-the-blank answers (giving us the option of how many times that repeats, perhaps zero in some cases).
Since I am going with 2 quizzes per class session, for 50 students, total perhaps 80 quizzes per semester, I don't have time to hand grade.
Thanks for a response.  I have bugged my CSUS tech people about this issue since Spring.
Best,
Don Lotter
CSU Sacramento, Biology
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lotter 

You'll be happy to know that more robust controls have been built into fill-in-the-the-blank question type in New Quizzes. Check out the Text Match section of  How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in New Quizzes? to see how to use Levenshtein distance to accommodate the use case you've described.

For future reference, Idea Conversations is where our members discuss requests for enhancements to Canvas functionality. You can read more about the process in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community? and How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? —keeping in mind that our teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year.

View solution in original post