Gaining technical expertise in canvas

JoshuaStomel
Community Member

Hi all,

I am interested in acquiring expertise in the technical aspects of what is possible in canvas, but I'm not sure where to get started learning. Is there a set of videos or technical reference document on how to do all of the possible things within canvas? 

1) I am ok with either 1st or 3rd party information

2) If there is some sort of coursera or "advanced canvas for dummies" book or someone's or popular youtube channel covering the topic I would be interested in that

3) Here is a non-exhaustive list of examples of the things that I would like to do but don't know if they are possible:

1. Implement HTML/CSS/javascript/python within canvas pages to create dynamically responsive elements
  2. Attaching some sort of tag to an individual student or group of students
    • Example: I want students to be assigned as "mentors" to other students and I want some way to attach their "mentor" status to them within the class
  3. Allow student access to modules/resources/assignments based off of:
    1. accumulated points in a grade category
    2. having a specific badge/tag/status
    3. their answers to an ungraded survey quiz
  4. Writing scripts within canvas for task automation
    1. Example: a script to take all assignments in category X with a due date/time of Y and add 3 hours to the due date of each of them
    2. Example 2: a script to send a form email to all students in a shell who fit a particular criteria, like who haven't turned in a particular assignment or who fall within a specific grade threshold in an assignment category
  5. Allowing students to make meaningful choices about their learning pathway on an individual basis
    1. Example: allow students to choose a quiz to retake (possibly using a survey) and have that quiz reopen for them with another attempt
    2. Example 2: upon completing a module allow the student several options of which module to open next
  6. Build quizzes that contain random questions pulled from a bank, preferably where I can tag a question with things like it's type, difficulty, and the learning objective it satisfies

I know that many of these things a probably not possible, some might have hacks that can get you kind of close, and some are already implemented. But that's just the thing, I'm not sure what is and isn't possible and what hacks exist so I'm not sure where to start and don't want to waste too much time reinventing the wheel or chasing down blind holes.

Any information is appreciated. 

Labels (3)
0 Likes