Generating auto-login link for students

Jump to solution
cempol
Community Member

Hi

I have admin right and API access to a self hosted Canvas instance.
Now, I need user-specific auto-login links which will be generated in our external web application programmatically. So that students will not bother with an additional password for Canvas LMS.
Instead they will click on the link and hopefully launch the pre-assigned course automatically.

I think this is generally called "magic link". Can anybody kindly guide me or clarify if this is possible?
Any guidance will be highly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you. We hope you are doing well and that you’ve found an answer to your question!

The Community Team acknowledges that this thread does not have a proper answer. However, we are marking this post as a temporary solution to help Community Members find and respond to the newest and most active threads.

I don't think this is possible with Canvas from my knowledge as an admin myself, but there may be something I don't know.  Usually, Canvas would be configured with the same single-sign-on as your other school/institution services, and the login process would be pretty transparent (user wouldn't be prompted to login again if they have an active SSO session, just taken right to their dashboard or course).

At any time, any Community member can click the “Not the Solution” option and then respond in-thread with your follow-up questions. It’s important to include @CommunityForums in that reply so we can restore the entire topic to our list of unanswered questions we check routinely.

View solution in original post