Giving a student a second attempt at a quiz (Part 2)

Jump to solution
everson_50
Community Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I posted the following message awhile ago.  I did not specify then that I am using the Classic Quizzes feature since that is all we have access to at our institution. 

I got a response to my original query that basically said what I wanted to do was not possible with Classic Quizzes.  However, I'd love to hear more from anyone else who might be in the same boat and who might have utilized a solution that seemed to work.  One thing I was thinking about, if only a small number of students have such an issue, is to simply try to meet with each student via Zoom, before we release exam grades.  I could then share the questions they were unable to answer and have them answer the questions in my presence.  Given I have over 850 students this semester, this would only be feasible if a handful of students experience issues.  If a larger number have difficulties, it seems my only option might be to have a make-up exam that they take, but I worry about having the time to easily prepare this.  

Are there other possible easy fixes that I am just not thinking about???

Here is my original message:

I hope I can easily explain this situation.

I have set up my midterm exam in Canvas in a special way.  Essentially, there are multiple versions of each question on the midterm.  All questions are multiple-choice.  I set things up so that each question is tied to particular question bank, and a random question is drawn from that bank for each student.  We hope this will reduce attempts at academic misconduct by better ensuring that each student gets a unique set of questions.

Sadly, yesterday, on our campus, Canvas crashed as several of my students were in the middle of taking the midterm exam.  We have our exams open for a particular window of time, and sometime in that window, students have to take the exam.  Unless students have been approved for extra time through our Disability Services office, most students have to complete the 25 question test in 90 minutes.  Fortunately, not all students were impacted by this issue and Canvas started working again within an hour.

Some students were almost finished with the exam when Canvas crashed.  All they needed to do was check their answers.  However, once Canvas crashed, the exam clock kept ticking and some exams were just automatically submitted when time ran out without students being able to check their work.  I know I can give students another attempt at an assessment, but in this case, that would mean seeing a whole new set of randomly chosen problems.  I don't want that.  I was simply hoping there might be a way for me to allow them back into the work they already completed (i.e., seeing their original attempt again and being able to make modifications to that attempt if needed).  Is that possible once a quiz had been submitted?  

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you might be able to provide.

Michelle

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@everson_50 There unfortunately is not a way to do this in classic quizzes.  I just was working with a faculty member on this and really feel your pain.  The fact you used the question bank further complicates it (although is great practice) as a second attempt would give them a different exam.  The faculty member I was working with ended up pulling the student's exam up and copying the selected answers to a word doc so the student could review them and finish answering the questions they did not get to.  I know this is a pain depending on how many of your students were impacted.  

It is nice to see this is being addressed in New Quizzes as this is a common issue but that does not help those of us still using classic.

Good luck!

-Nick

View solution in original post