Google Doc Checkboxes Not Appearing in Speed Grader

Jump to solution
tcobly
Community Explorer

Hello all, I've recently added checkboxes into my assignments for students to check off that they have done everything they are supposed to on an assignment before turning it in. As well as a self-assessment.

These checkboxes disappear upon student submission in speed grader. They return to generic dots. I do see if they are checked by the strikethrough change in the text, but the boxes would be nice to keep.

Is this an issue with the conversion of google docs into something speedgrader can access? If so, any chance it can be changed?

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 3.05.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 3.11.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 3.05.24 PM.png

  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

The formatting for the checkboxes changing is actually a behavior on Google's end.  When Google sends the file to Canvas, it converts it to a docx format.  While converting it, Google appears to also convert the checkboxes to bullet points.  You can see this if you download the submission from SpeedGrader and open it on a word processing program on your computer.

Unfortunately, since this behavior is not something occurring on Canvas's end, it is not something that can be changed by Canvas.  You might want to reach out to Google Assignments Support or Google Docs Support to see if there is a way to change the behavior on their end.

View solution in original post