Gradebook - names need to be in order?

Jump to solution
ts1034
Community Member
Spoiler
Hello! I would like to export scores from a different learning software (TopHat) to Canvas Gradebook. The order of the names on the two different export files are different, but I was wondering how much of the gradebook csv needs to be the same to the one directly downloaded from Canvas? Do the students' row names need to be in the same order? Can I just keep the columns for the assignments that I am updating, and not re-upload the other columns?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ts1034 ...

Not sure why you put your question in the "Spoiler" section...but I'll try and help answer your question.  I'm not entirely sure that your names need to be in alphabetical order.  I only base this on the screenshots that I see in this Guide:

How do I import grades in the Gradebook?

Check out the information in the light blue box and also below the first screenshot (illustration).  In looking at the section called "View Example CSV File", neither the "Student" column shown in that screen shot is organized by first name or last name.  Rather, it is organized by Student ID number (the "ID" column).

Here is something else you might try...  log in to your school's Canvas "test" environment.  This would be located at:

https://SchoolName.test.instructure.com 

...where SchoolName is your own school's name in your Canvas URL, and you need to also add test to the URL.  You can read more about this in the following Guides:

Then, try uploading your CSV file to your course in the "test" environment.  This will not make any changes to your course in the "production" environment (the environment that you typically log into on a daily basis).  The "test" environment is completely separate, and it's there for you to test things out without disturbing anything in your actual course(s).  Just be sure to log out of your "test" environment before returning to your "production" environment.  How do I log out of Canvas as an instructor?

Hopefully these resources will be of help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes