Grades Feature Interactions: Posting, Hiding, Late Policy

Jump to solution
tengrrl
Community Participant

I'm looking for an understanding of the way that Hide/Post Grades, a Late Policy that automatically assigns grades, and the Manual/Automatic Post Grades functions interact.

These three features ALWAYS, ALWAYS comes back to bite me. I wish I had a table or the pseudocode or something that made things all clear. I have assignments set to Incomplete if they're late. I've tried various settings for the other two (hide/post and manual/automatic).

All I want is the ability to add feedback on a batch of projects WITHOUT getting student questions about that feedback before I finish responding to everyone. Otherwise I'm trying to answer all these questions and not getting to feedback on the remaining projects. Ugh. What am I doing wrong? 

Can anyone help me?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @tengrrl 

Thanks for  getting back to us. It sounds like you essentially want to hide the feedback and grades from the students until you are completely done grading them. The hiding of the grades in combination with your late policy would be best fixed by applying  a manual grade posting policy for the assignment. You  can also do this for the entire gradebook. This would hide all grades, comments, etc. until you are  ready to make them available for the students. At which point after  all late work has been accepted or reviewed, you  can then change it to automatic and they will see their grades. Unfortunately, there is no way to post grades to students who have submitted on time, received  grades, but hide grades from students who are submitting late and receiving late grades. It applies to everyone at once. Unless you are going into edit per assignment and singling out students in the "assign to" boxes - either they see nothing until you change the policy to automatic, or the students will see temporary late/missing grades until you change them.

Assignment:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-select-a-grade-posting-policy-for-an-as...

Gradebook:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-select-a-grade-posting-policy-for-a-cou...

View solution in original post

0 Likes