cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elizabeth_gosky
Community Member

HEIC on the horizen?

Jump to solution

Can you please add a file type for HEIC so my kids can submit pictures of their work.  It is very frustrating to not be able to view their pictures.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @elizabeth_gosky  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

While I have no idea where the Canvas product team is with this functionality, I did find a feature idea for this that is currently open for voting. Check it out, and if it meet your needs, support with your votes and comments............. https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13266-ability-to-view-heic-files-in-speedgrader-preview?sr=sea... 

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @elizabeth_gosky  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

While I have no idea where the Canvas product team is with this functionality, I did find a feature idea for this that is currently open for voting. Check it out, and if it meet your needs, support with your votes and comments............. https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13266-ability-to-view-heic-files-in-speedgrader-preview?sr=sea... 

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
george_franz
Community Participant

I agree that not having HEIC compatibility is a nightmare, and will soon result in speed grader being an unusable feature if it is not fixed.

In the meanwhile, rather than converting and reuploading,  a better solution is to ask the students to change the settings on their iPhone.  Unless they are some sort of camera buff, they probably don't care about the file type for their pictures.

Give them these instructions:

Through the iOS settings app. Scroll down to "Camera," tap "Formats" and pick "most compatible" for JPEG instead of "high efficiency" for HEIC.

If they are transfering to their PC or to Google drive or elsewhere before uploading, Apple Photos also can be configured to convert HEIC into JPEGs. Tap "Photos" in the iOS settings app, find the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, then choose "automatic."

PLease please please fix this canvas please 

Thanks for your suggestion! I just ran into this problem in my newly online art class too.

george_franz
Community Participant

Another work-around when it comes to assignments is to put specific file types in the list.  I typically include JPG, PNG, DOC, DOCX, and PDF in the list.  Then if students try to upload an HEIC file it won't accept it.  They can then paste it into a document or convert it to pdf.  Most students figure it out on their own when the HEIC file type isn't accepted.  I've only used this with assignment uploads.