arfan_ismail

HELP! Rubrics problem

Hi

We're struggling with the rubrics feature in Canvas.  We need to be able to grade university assignments where the lecturer would select one and only of the criteria and the grade be awarded on this as a letter grade ONLY.  At the moment this can not be achieved, Canvas is insistsnet on giving points/percentage scores which we don't want and cannot award according to official policy.  Even these points scores will only reflect reality if the lecturers award zeros for all the other criteria.  

Thanks

Arfan 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kmeeusen
Coach Emeritus

Hi  @arfan_ismail  

I tested this and there is a way to do this, and it is rather simple, other than it might require a bit of easy math to set up.

There it is easy as pie; and actually way easier than pecan pie, those things are tricksie!

Kelley

arfan_ismail

Hi

I think I wasn't sucessful in conveying the nature of the problem.  Please see below the grading rubric.326848_Lancaster University Grading Rubric.PNG

So you can understand this, a+ equates to 24 points, A to 21 points etc.  There is no 23 points, 22 points etc.  The award is the letter grade which equates to a set number of points.  Canvas appears unable to work with this type of Rubric.  When we set it up it totals the aggregate scores (which come to c.190) which is meaningless.  Also, the only way to get Canvas to give a score of A+ and 24 points is if they enter 0 for all other grades (A, A-, B+ etc).  Tutors may or may not do this, if they don't it will result in students being given a points score that is both meaningless and incorrect.

Hi  @arfan_ismail  

You said......

"So you can understand this..."

The really key point to remember about rubrics is that they need to be able to be understood by the students. They are a tool to inform students of the criteria by which their grade will be evaluated. So I really don't need to understand this.

This appears more to be some kind of very general grading methodology/policy for faculty and is not specific to any task, assignment or project engaged in or submitted by a student; than it does a rubric. Even so, this could very easily be used to guide the development of task-specific rubrics that would work like my example above.

Kelley

0 Kudos