Hand-written physical submission notification

Jump to solution
keefern
Community Participant

Hello, fellow Canvas and E-Learning Gurus:

I have a faculty member who just posed this question to me:

I have several assignments that are handwritten and need to be turned in to a drop box on campus. I'm not on campus all the time to collect any early submissions. Is there any way to program a submission type per assignment that students can simply click (after dropping in the drop box) to let me know they have submitted something? That way I would know I need to make a trip to campus to collect it.

He would like to avoid notifications in his inbox; I gave him my knee-jerk suggestion (non-graded, one question quiz), but thought I would ask all of you, too. You likely have had similar questions and solutions, so I might as well give him as many options as I can. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi @keefern ,

I would suggest just using the Text Entry submission type and putting in the student instructions to turn in the assignment on paper and then type something (anything, "submitted" or the letter X or anything) in the text entry box and submit it. The letter T will show up in the Gradebook to show that a student has submitted something, and the professor will know to check the drop box. Canvas doesn't care whether you grade what was in the text box or what was handed in on paper. It creates a column in the Gradebook either way, and the professor can input the appropriate grade after retrieving the actual submission.

View solution in original post