Has anyone figured out a way for Canvas quizzes to show two essay questions/response fields at a time (when set to show one question at a time)?

Jump to solution
Jess_M
Community Participant

In a Canvas quiz, I would like the ability to set the quiz to one question at a time, but to have two short answer fields in a single question.

Use Case
It's pretty simple, the first field will be where the student responds to the set question. The second field will be for the students to enter their reference lists. They need to be seperate, so as to ensure that an accurate word count is visible to the marker (and doesn't require the marker to manually check the word count, as the reference list is excluded).

The second part of the question (reference list) is not graded, but the sources need to be provided so that they're verifiable. 

Currently, my only options are to have all questions in a single view (which is a bit overwhelming for the student) or have the reference list on seperate pages, which is also not ideal. 

Has anyone found a workaround for this (that is not a document upload)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @Jess_M,

Sorry, I forgot about the word count requirement.  I think the next closest thing you could do would be to use the stimulus option of New Quizzes, where you could create your question as the stimulus, then have one associated  essay marked as "response" and another one as "references".  These would still display separately using the one at a time question display, but the consistency of having the question on the left may be helpful for students.

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes