Hidden Instructor Notes

Jump to solution
gclam
Community Novice

Could not locate a similar question in this forum related to my following Discussion Question:

I have an instructor who posed the following question:

"As I develop my Canvas course, I would like to have a way to add documentation that is primarily for me and other instructors that might teach the same course—something like an instructor's manual. The idea would be to have assignment solutions, notes on things that students struggle with, or any other instructor reference material that is either not appropriate to release to students or not relevant for them. Is this possible within Canvas?"

Thank you for reviewing and responding to this question.

/gcl

2 Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gclam ​, probably the easiest thing to do in this case is to create a page or pages and then leave them unpublished; which keeps them hidden from students. You could also technically do this with a file(s) - upload and then keep them unpublished.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gclam ​, for our course masters, we do something very similar to what  @kona ​ has described. In our case, we create a series of unpublished pages, and we place them in an unpublished module (or modules, when necessary) placed at the top of the Modules list. A typical module looks like this:

module-unpublished-facilitator-notes.png

The text header reads in full: ** DO NOT PUBLISH THIS MODULE OR THE CONTENTS WITHIN IT ** It is not meant for student-view **

This approach has worked beautifully for us.

Also, since your question is more of the open-ended variety and as such is not likely to prompt a single response that will stand out as uniquely "correct," I've changed the format to a discussion.

View solution in original post