Hidden/Unposted Grades Still Reflected in Student Total Summary.

Jump to solution
Tom_Smith
Community Member

I support faculty that use the grade posting policies in thier courses to allow them to manually grade certain items before they are posted. If I read the excerpt below correctly, this means that un posted or hidden grades will not be reflected in the student's total score summary, correct?

"If you make changes to an assignment with hidden grades, the total score as you see it (in both the Gradebook and the student Grades page) will be affected. However, students will not see any changes when they view their Grades page. Once you post the assignment grades, the total grade in the student's view will update accordingly"

I ask because I'm not finding that to be the case in my instance of Canvas. Unposted and/or hidden graddes ARE showing in the total. Thus, any student with basic math skills can calculate the "unposted" or "hidden"  score.  Is there something I am missing?  I need to find a way suppress un posted and/or hidden scored for being included in the total summary.

I would welcome any thoughts, suggestions or guidance.

- Tom

0 Likes
1 Solution
bec_plumbe
Community Participant

Hi Tom,

I just tested this using Test Student so I could see what the student sees as well. In my site, 

• staff see the real total
  • students only see the total based on assignment scores that have been released.

It's confusing though; I wish there were an easier way of seeing what students see directly on the gradebook page.

View solution in original post