Hide right-hand-side menu from dashboard for students

Jump to solution
pranashreepatil
Community Member

Hi I was wondering if it's possible to remove the menu on the right-hand side of dashboard for students/ admin as we want (see image1 attached ). 
Also, can you please tell me can we remove only a section of the menu (see image 2 attached)

Does anyone know of a way to remove it? 

Thanks
to remove menu for studentto remove menu for studentto remove only start a new courseto remove only start a new course

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @pranashreepatil,

The start a new course button access is controlled by the "who can create courses" section of your root account settings as shown in the screenshot here:

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 8.53.08 AM.png

We only allow admins to create courses, so we have all three boxes unchecked in settings so that nobody but an admin will see the button.

As for hiding the entire right side of the dashboard, it's likely possible through css, but I would really discourage you from going that direction as Canvas really is designed to have that info visible.  If you were to hide the right bar you may be doing more of a disservice to your users (especially students) than you realize initially.  I know some people don't like that the to-do list can give students quick access to things without navigating an entire course, but it really is beneficial especially once teachers start designing courses to make use of the to-do (primarily making sure things have dates attached or adding to the to-do where applicable).

Hope this info helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post