How can one iframe HTML from Files AND also Share?

Jump to solution
RickHill
Community Member

Hello,

Cool trick

I Can save HTML to my Files area, and I can iframe those into my course with no problem.  This is amazing and opens the doors to a whole new level of interactives natively being hosted in Canvas.

Problem: 

This cannot be shared to Commons or simply shared with colleagues.  Furthermore, when duplicating the course, these links break as well with content either being locked with an Access Denied statement.

Question:

Is there a workaround for this? Or am I just stuck with one-hit wonder courses that have to be entirely rebuilt?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
RickHill
Community Member
Author

No, I am not hovering on a file, but instead clicking on it to give its location in the browser's URL window.    What's great about it is that it does work well and allows you to create full HTML sites along with JS and CSS.   However, Sharing to Commons and Duplicating the course from this method gives the Access Denied. 

I agree with the Absolute issue mentioned and did take your suggestion by making relative links like the ones below, which works just for this course.

However, I still get Access denied when I send it out to Commons or Share the page to a colleague. But thank you for that good suggestion.

I guess what I really need are certified instructions for linking to an item in Files (such as an HTML file).  Hasn't anyone done this in Canvas before?  

The only other method I know that will actually work without problems is to make my Webpages in Scorm file using Storyline, or Active Presenter, but their dimensions will be locked.     The SCORM object works and redirects properly regardless of Sharing Mode.  It's just overkill though for a simple set of HTML pages that work together in the files area.

UPDATE:   This seems like a similar issue when  i-framing HTML.  Not quite the same but very similar I suspect

[OPEN] iframed html files in rich text content give access denied error when importing from course export package

View solution in original post

0 Likes