cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhendrickson
Community Member

How do I create a group assignment with various topics and groups

Jump to solution

How do I create a group assignment for 45 students, with 3 separate topics, 3 groups for each topic, and only one student can self select what topic and group they want to join?

If I set up 3 different groups it appears there are 3 separate assignments, when there is only 1 assignment with 3 different topics to chose from.

Thank you for any and all guidance.

Lisa

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @lhendrickson  - Great...good for you figuring the first part out!  The grading process depends on whether you enabled the ability to grade students individually.  But the basics are covered here: How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?  

Regardless of which setting you chose, however, be aware that even with individual grading, a student submits on behalf of the entire group.  So if Sally from Group A submits an assignment, and then Stan from Group A submits an assignment later, the last assignment will seemingly "overwrite" the first.  It does not, really; you will still be able to see all submissions, but you will not be able to see which student submitted which assignment, unless they wrote just their name on it.  I remind faculty that group assignments are not an activity for which you want students to submit things individually for this very reason.

I hope this helps a bit, Lisa.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
lhendrickson
Community Member

I think I may have figured it out through trial and error and reading other posts.

I created one group set for the assignment, with 9 separate groups, and edited the title of the groups accordingly.

I'm still unsure how one paper submission per group works, and how the grading is going to pan out for each member in the group.

Hi  @lhendrickson ,

I will admit I have not used one paper submission per group, but I found that  @kblack  has given a really good run down in another thread which made perfect sense when I had a read, might this bridge the last gap for you also? https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/31830-submitting-a-group-paper he also links to a variety of other resources to help explain things.

Please let us know how you go after having a read of that and hopefully it covers off those last two points for you!

Stuart

kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @lhendrickson  - Great...good for you figuring the first part out!  The grading process depends on whether you enabled the ability to grade students individually.  But the basics are covered here: How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?  

Regardless of which setting you chose, however, be aware that even with individual grading, a student submits on behalf of the entire group.  So if Sally from Group A submits an assignment, and then Stan from Group A submits an assignment later, the last assignment will seemingly "overwrite" the first.  It does not, really; you will still be able to see all submissions, but you will not be able to see which student submitted which assignment, unless they wrote just their name on it.  I remind faculty that group assignments are not an activity for which you want students to submit things individually for this very reason.

I hope this helps a bit, Lisa.

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Champion

Ha! Thanks,  @stuart_ryan  . The same Ken who just happened to reply at about the same time you did!

lesley_cryderma
Community Contributor

Question, when you set up your groups, are you allowing self-sign up? We are having an issue where the Group Set has several groups with different topics allowing for students, regardless of section, to self-sign up for the group they want. Two groups are full, one group says "join" and the other groups, which are empty, are locked.  I can't find anything in the guides that would indicate why this is happening. I am "masquerading" as students in the class, NOT using the Test Student view.

Lesley

Hi Lesley, I am experiencing the same exact problem!  I am allowing self sign-ups and all my groups are locked when I look through student view.  ~Lisa

Has it righted itself? We didn't change anything and it suddenly started working. Which was odd because students had joined a couple of the groups already and the rest were locked and then they just weren't!

Lesley

Hahaha :smileygrin: love your work  @kblack !