How do I make the goups manually in the discussion board

Jump to solution
jenelle_kolterm
Community Novice

I almost have my discussion board ready but where and how do I manually put the students in the groups I want?

1 Solution
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Jenelle Kolterman,

I think you just want to set up Groups in general yes? Here's the Instructor Guide on Groups.

Making discussion groups is a generally a 2 step process: create the grouping, create the individual groups.

Create your Grouping -  How do I add a group set in a course?

Think of the group set as the purpose for the group like Discussion groups, Project groups, Reading groups. I've even seen some instructors who do different groupings for each discussion like Discussion 1: Opera, Discussion 2: Jazz, Discussion 3: Techno-- then each discussion students are with a different batch of students to discuss.

Create individual groups inside the grouping, like Disc group1, Disc group 2, Disc group 3 

How do I manually create groups in a group set?

Or even better

My last bit of advice is to make the Group names denote what course the group is from, if you're in higher ed and students are enrolled in more than one course, distinguishing between their groups can get tricky unless the course code or something is in the group name like MUS101 Opera Group 1.

Students have an extra option in their Global Navigation that will take them to just their groups. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10661-421255565 

Student view open groups menu

Hope the guides help,
Stay home, stay healthy,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post