How do you get module assignments into the assignment section?

Jump to solution
kschmid
Community Novice

If you created an assignment in Modules instead of in Assignments, how can you get it added to the Assignment list so it appears in the grade book?  There seems to be no copy function, and the move command only seems to move things within the modules. It is already published and appears in Student View:  too late to do it over, and who wants to waste another five hours even if it weren't too late?  Filling in 60 different boxes and then fixing all the mistakes is tedious enough the first time.

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @kschmid  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I'm not sure I totally understand what you are asking, however.  The "Modules" page is merely the place where you can organize all your course content just the way you want it...into modules....putting your pages, discussion topics, quizzes, assignments, etc. in the order that you want into each of your modules (units, chapters, lesson plans, etc.).  So, when you say that you added an assignment to your "Modules" page...that same assignment will automatically be added to your "Assignments" page, too.  If you publish the assignment via your "Modules" page, it will be be published on the "Assignments" page, too...because it's the same item.  You do not need to "copy" an assignment from the "Modules" page back to your "Assignments" page...because it should already be there.

There may be some settings in the assignment itself which would make it appear (or not appear) in the Gradebook...but for the most part, the assignment should be there.

I hope this helps, Katherine.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this information.

View solution in original post

atazzam
Community Member

I have noticed this issue a few times in the spring 21 semester and not found any answers online.

The following is the order of operations I am using.

1. A template course was created manually with content (Pages, Files, assignments, modules, etc).
  2. Actual live courses for students are provided by our university.
  3. Modules are moved from the template course to actual course with "Copy to" feature.
  4. In the actual courses after copying, some have the module with content, but the assignments are not displayed in the assignment tab.

I am copying these items to 10 courses and it seems to happen on 3 or 4 out of 10 sections each time.

1. The gradebook does not show the assignments for these 3 or 4.
  2. The Course Calendar oddly does.
  3. If I edit one of these "missing" assignment from the modules page and add it to a new assignment group, then the missing assignments show up in the assignments tab and the gradebook under the new assignment group. 

One thing I noticed above was that the "copy to" feature (annoyingly) puts assignments in the Imported Assignments group (which it usually creates for you).

For these missing assignments, they are sent to a group called "Assignments".

View solution in original post

0 Likes