Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark_anderson
Community Participant

How do you re-order quizzes?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I simply want to re-order the multiple quizzes that I have created within one of my courses, but there is no simple option for re-ordering them. I can't drag and drop, and no obvious way in any drop-down menus to alter the order.

216325_pastedImage_1.png

If I wanted "The Vikings" to be at the top, how do I do this?

And why wouldn't you simple be able to drag and drop like Assignments, Discussions, and virtually everything else in Canvas?

Cheers,

Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@mark_anderson ‌,

Quizzes are arranged by their due date and then alphabetically when there are more than one due at the same time (or undated). Since you have no due dates listed, they all appear together in alphabetical order.

You can move "The Vikings" to the top of the Quizzes page by renaming it to come before "Columbus" or you can put a due date on it.

Or you can take advantage of one of the other places where you can drag and drop to order. You can also put the quizzes onto the Modules page and then put them in any order that you want them to appear in. You can also drag them into a different position on the Assignments page.

Some faculty hide the navigation tabs for pages with types of ordering they don't want the students to use, so you could hide the quizzes page from the students if the order is really important and you're unable to establish a due date for it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
James
Community Champion

@mark_anderson ‌,

Quizzes are arranged by their due date and then alphabetically when there are more than one due at the same time (or undated). Since you have no due dates listed, they all appear together in alphabetical order.

You can move "The Vikings" to the top of the Quizzes page by renaming it to come before "Columbus" or you can put a due date on it.

Or you can take advantage of one of the other places where you can drag and drop to order. You can also put the quizzes onto the Modules page and then put them in any order that you want them to appear in. You can also drag them into a different position on the Assignments page.

Some faculty hide the navigation tabs for pages with types of ordering they don't want the students to use, so you could hide the quizzes page from the students if the order is really important and you're unable to establish a due date for it.

View solution in original post

tmor1
Community Member

Why not simply have a sort button?

jonathan-mordko
Community Member

The above "answer" to the original question does not appear to be correct.  I have a set of quizzes for which the order of available dates, due dates, and alphabetical position are all in sync, but they do not appear in that order on the Quizzes page.  Yes, they appear in the correct order on the Syllabus page (and this does, indeed, appear to be controlled by due date), but the order on the Quizzes page is random and there is no way (that I can see) to fix this and I find it annoying.  - Jt

edit: and before anyone asks: yes, they are in the correct order on the Assignments page ... it is only on the Quizzes page (for both me and in Student View) that they are in a random order

@jonathan-mordko 

Stefanie directed you to another thread about this. I updated that thread, but in case you miss it there, Canvas Support sent me a message a couple of hours ago. I can confirm that in my beta instance the sorting is fixed.

Hello, We've deployed a fix for this issue in our Beta environment. If all goes well, it will make it to the live Production environment on March 11, 2020. This ticket will remain in an "On-Hold" status until then. Admins and instructors: Feel free to try out the fix if you have time. As a reminder, your normal login should get you into Beta if you simply add ".beta" to your institution's Canvas URL (i.e. "canvas.beta.instructure.com"). Keep in mind that the Beta environment has outbound notifications disabled (it's for testing only). Apologies to any students who are receiving this message; testing in Beta is most often disabled for students at various institutions. However, rest assured that we are working to have this issue addressed soon. We will notify you of any changes to the status of this fix. We appreciate your time and attention - if you have any questions about this message or this fix, please feel free to contact Support. Keep Learning! Support Panda Notifier of Things

hhohmann
Community Member

The link to mordko is broken and the beta thing is crazy to have to try.

KelleShiflett
Community Member

Anyone know of a fix for this issue? Still unable to sort my quizzes in order I would like; however, everything in other areas is in correct order.

sandman
Community Participant

I agree.  This seems like an easy coding fix.  I'd like to be able to order quizzes by where they are in the curriculum, rather by due date or the arbitrary alphabetical order.

sz8
Community Member

It is so frustrating not to be able to order the quiz. It's very random, and not ABC or due date ordered.