How is it possible for a timed Canvas quiz to be marked as "late"?

Jump to solution
dong_timothy
Community Novice

I am giving timed multiple choice questions on Canvas quizzes.  I often see student submissions marked "late" (their cells are highlighted in blue).  How is it even possible to have a late submission on a Canvas quiz?  Doesn't the system  automatically submit a student's quiz as soon as the time is up?  How can students continue to be taking the quiz after the "due date" has past?

The reason I ask is that I have the quiz due at a certain time and then usually 1 min later, I have the system release the correct answers.  If students are able to take the quiz even AFTER the set deadline, then this means they will have access to the key.  Thanks for your feedback.

2 Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

@dong_timothy ,

You will need to set an "Available Until" date in order to prevent students from submitting "late".  The Due Date is what is actually tied to the To Do list, but does not prevent a student from submitting after that date.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Hi,

I didn't think that late submissions were allowed for quizzes. Is that right?

Once the timer runs out, I thought it started counting down from 10sec and automatically submits what the student has at that point. 

I am using a file upload question type and hoping to allow late submissions (but don't want to use the Assignment functionality because I want it to be timed).

I'm still using old quizzes, so I'm not sure if the behavior is different with Quizzes.Next.

Thanks,

-Bryan

View solution in original post

0 Likes