cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seashells

How to avoid posting SOME grades and comments whilst being investigated for plagiarism

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

I want to post grades and comments for the majority of my students for an assessment.

There are a number of students who are being investigated for collusion or plagiarism, but have had marks and comments submitted by markers. How do I avoid releasing grades and comments for these individuals? I can temporarily remove the grade for these students, post marks for graded students, but they will still see comments. Is there a way?

Many thanks,

Michelle

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

@seashells 

Michelle -

I think I saw that when I scanned through the article, and it somewhat registered with me. 

I figured you were looking for the option you mentioned.  It sounds like what you want is not possible - 

Or here is a suggestion- probably not that great, but create another assignment and copy the scores for the good students to it and post that assignment - the students see the scores and not the comments.  However, there may be a way to copy the comments over (something in the back of mind seems to recall seeing something about it - although it could be someone asking about the ability to copy the comments).

Good Luck

right after posting, I saw this post : https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Unmute-individual-student-s-mark/m-p/515121... 

Evidently you are not alone on this matter - the post has links to feature request ideas that can be voted on

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@seashells 

Michelle - (after posting I re-read your post.  I think you already know everything below.  What is the actual assessment?  Is it a quiz, discussion, assignment?  Also it sounds like different people have graded and commented on the assessment.  According to the link below, unposted grades should not see the comments - do you have a way to check this out with an actual student account?)

Do not assign a grade to those students in question.  Make sure the grading is manual for the assignment (this can be done in the grade book and it sounds like you know about it).  After grading the valid submissions, click on post grades - you have the option of all grades are just the graded submissions.  click on graded submissions only for posting.  That should leave the remaining ones hidden.

here is the instructor manual page for how do I post grades for an assignment

seashells

Hi @Ron_Bowman 

Thanks for that suggestion - the assessment is an assignment (a timed essay question exam, in fact) marked by a number of staff.

On the page you've linked it states the following:

When grades are only posted to students with graded submissions, students with ungraded submissions and no submission comments will see an icon on their grades page that indicates grades are still being worked on. However, students with ungraded submissions that have submission comments will be able to view submission comments.

I have removed the grades, but I worry that removing and re-adding submission comments will result in confusion and possibly error. I think I was hoping for an option to select students from a list to keep grades hidden.

Thanks for your help!

Michelle

0 Kudos

@seashells 

Michelle -

I think I saw that when I scanned through the article, and it somewhat registered with me. 

I figured you were looking for the option you mentioned.  It sounds like what you want is not possible - 

Or here is a suggestion- probably not that great, but create another assignment and copy the scores for the good students to it and post that assignment - the students see the scores and not the comments.  However, there may be a way to copy the comments over (something in the back of mind seems to recall seeing something about it - although it could be someone asking about the ability to copy the comments).

Good Luck

right after posting, I saw this post : https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Unmute-individual-student-s-mark/m-p/515121... 

Evidently you are not alone on this matter - the post has links to feature request ideas that can be voted on