cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vancej
Community Participant

How to communicate Incomplete with a grade scheme

I need help with creating away to input I for incomplete for students who do not  complete the course. Students may, or even will, think that they have completed the class if they see a passing  grade based on the running total formula. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

hello @vancej 

Currently there is not a way to enter a 'I' for incomplete as far as the students final grade is concerned. This is because your Canvas course will work off your Grading Scheme, assignment group weights, or the points you setup for each assignment. 

However, one work around I thought of was that you could setup a No Submission assignment type, have the grading display as Complete/incomplete.  You would want to make this assignment not count towards the final grade. This would then allow you to mark students as complete or incomplete as they progress through the course. Once they have completed the required materials in the course, you could then go in and mark them as complete or incomplete and they would be able to check that on their side of things. 

Hopefully this helps a little bit. 

-Colton. 

vancej
Community Participant

Colton,

Thanks. I was thinking the  same, but wondered how to get that column you mentioned to  appear near the bottom of the student's view of grades. I guess the column would have to be listed last in a single assignment group or last in the last assignment group.

0 Kudos