cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jay_lewenstein

How to create email list from CANVAS class roster

How can I create a class email list based on my CANVAS class roster?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Jay

6 Replies
kona
Coach Emeritus

@jay_lewenstein , it depends on what information you have visible in People for your students. Do you have their email addresses? If so, then you can copy and paste them into the email list you are creating (I can’t help with the list creation because I don’t know what program you are using). Or, copy the whole list of email addresses into a word doc and clean it up and then add it to the list. 

Yet, probably the easiest thing to do is to use the Canvas Inbox to message your students. That way you don’t have to worry about putting together an email list because all the names of the students are already there and ready for you. In addition, if you send the message through Canvas then it will automatically get forwarded out to the students default email address as well (which is normally their school email). 

For more ore information on how to use the Invox see the following - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12810-4152719677 

Kona

Hola Kona,

Thank you for your response!

I'm very good at sending announcements to my students; however, now I want to create a list of student emails I can use for other purposes.

• When I go to my CANVAS Inbox, I can see my student names, but I can't take down their email addresses.

Again, I appreciate your information and advice. Keep up the great work.

Paz,

JL

@jay_lewenstein , the Inbox doesn’t have the option to show email addresses. Yet, as I mentioned before, you might have access to this information in the *People* area of your course. For example, I have my student’s NetID’s listed in People which is the first part of their email address (just add the @School.edu and there you go). I also know some schools have customized their People list to show more or less information. That’s why I recommended checking there first.

If you don’t see this information in Canvas, the next thing I would check is your student information system (Ex: Banner, PeopleSoft, etc). You should have a class list there as well as your student’s email addresses. This is actually what I normally recommend for our faculty because in ours we can download a file with the student’s names and email addresses from our online course roster page. 

Hope this helps!

Robbie_Grant
Coach Emeritus

@jay_lewenstein ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
m_fuller

No, I don't think this is answered.  I am transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas, and I don't see a simple way to do this.  The only solution is in our class roster click on every student's name which brings up their email and then cut and paste that into a doc or spreadsheet.

0 Kudos
ROBERTTac

If it is answered, the system is flawed. The best I can find is exporting to Excel then copy and paste one class at a time...which google mail makes very difficult. So once I got the hang of it, I could set up a mass email to all my students in about ten minutes (not including typing the actual message)...surely this should be 1-2 minutes? Although, it has been a couple years so I guess I won't expect any changes.

0 Kudos