How to delete files not officially submitted yet?

Jump to solution
ER1N
Community Member

Hello!

I noticed that Canvas uploaded my assignment files to My Files without me pressing the Submit button yet. When I made additional changes to my assignment, I removed the original selected files from the Upload box (with the trash can button) and re-uploaded my updated files with the same name. The re-uploaded files have "-1" to the end of them. I still didn't press the Submit button. I tried to go into My Files and I saw that the (not officially submitted) files are under the submissions folder for that specific subject. I cannot delete or rename any files under submissions. How do I fix this? Is there a way to disable the auto-upload to My Files before I submit the assignment? Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @ER1N ...

In your personal user files area of Canvas, you have a "Submissions" folder that has a little padlock icon on it.  Any file submissions for assignments in your courses automatically get placed in this folder, and the padlock means that you cannot delete any files within that folder.  Files in this folder do not contribute to the available storage space you are allowed for personal file storage.  You can read more about this in How do I view my user files as a student? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) under the headings "View User Files" and "View My Files".  To my knowledge, there is no way to disable what you call an "auto-upload" ... as this is part of the normal process when students submit work to their instructors.

I hope this will help to answer your question.  Sing out if you have any other questions/concerns...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes