cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashish_nagrikar
Community Member

How to enable Files tab to insert files for assignment?

Jump to solution

I have created course and want to create one assignment in that course. when I click on create assignment button it will showing me above page but I am not able to upload files to that particular assignment because "files" tab is showing disableI have created course and want to create one assignment in that course. when I click on create assignment button it will showing me above page but I am not able to upload files to that particular assignment because "files" tab is showing disabled and clicking on "files" tab nothing is happening. someone please help me with the issue to enable "files" tab in assignment section.

Thank You

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ashish_nagrikar  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The following quote is from this guide How do I view course files as an instructor?

"Note: When using the Rich Content Editor in a course, you cannot access files from your user files. To add files to a course, the file must reside in the files for the course. However, you can embed images from your user files using the Rich Content Editor."

However, I just tested this, as I had never seen that tab fail to load in more than a dozen Canvas accounts I participate in. I took a sandbox, and scrubbed it (Reset Course Content), which left the shell with no files. I then created a page, and edited it - File tab displayed as active............

316903_pastedImage_5.png

I would suspect one of two things:

1. Your school has restricted your permission to upload files, and you will need to contact your Canvas Admin to rectify this unfortunate setting; or
  2. It is a bug, and I would suggest contacting Canvas support through the Help Menu (Report a Problem)

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

8 Replies
lmoreira
Community Contributor

Hi  @ashish_nagrikar ‌,

Do you have any files already uploaded into your course? I can see why Canvas wouldn't allow you to click there if you don't have any.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ashish_nagrikar  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The following quote is from this guide How do I view course files as an instructor?

"Note: When using the Rich Content Editor in a course, you cannot access files from your user files. To add files to a course, the file must reside in the files for the course. However, you can embed images from your user files using the Rich Content Editor."

However, I just tested this, as I had never seen that tab fail to load in more than a dozen Canvas accounts I participate in. I took a sandbox, and scrubbed it (Reset Course Content), which left the shell with no files. I then created a page, and edited it - File tab displayed as active............

316903_pastedImage_5.png

I would suspect one of two things:

1. Your school has restricted your permission to upload files, and you will need to contact your Canvas Admin to rectify this unfortunate setting; or
  2. It is a bug, and I would suggest contacting Canvas support through the Help Menu (Report a Problem)

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Hi @Lucas Moreira ,
Thanks for the reply, Yes I have files already uploaded into course. 

Hi @Kelley L. Meeusen,

Thanks for the reply.

I will contact to the Canvas support.

a_baisarin
Community Participant

Hello  @kmeeusen ,

I also use open sourced Canvas from Bitnami. And I have the same situation, cannot select the file on the editing page, since the button is inactive.

How to solve this?

@ashish_nagrikar , could you fix it?

Inactive Files Tab screenshot

Best regards,

Askhat

tilk
Community Member

I have installed Canvas for University of Wrocław and I have the exact same problem. When editing a page, the "Files" tab on the right is grayed out. Uploading files via "Files" on the left works fine, so not a permission issue.

tilk
Community Member

For posterity: I have solved it. This problem was related to the Rich Content Editor (RCE). I did the following:

1. Changed "development" to "production" in dynamic_settings.yml (https://community.bitnami.com/t/rce-on-canvas-is-looking-at-wrong-api-url/79626/7)
  2. Added ProxyPreserveHost to the proxy configuration in Apache (I am using Apache mod_proxy to forward RCE requests, see https://github.com/instructure/canvas-rce-api/issues/6)
  3. Modified app/api/folders.js in RCE API server to fix URLs.
ChrisDao
Community Participant

Hi, could you please tell me more about how you fix it with app/api/folders.js?

I cannot insert any course file although I have already uploaded. Canvas keeps telling me "Something went wrong", and I cannot know what went wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 11.19.44 pm.png