cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoffreyWheeler
Community Participant

How to move multiple students to a new section

Jump to solution

Is there a way to easily and efficiently move multiple students from one section of a class to another? We have a vocational program with continuous enrollment. I have created a section for each learning unit in the course. When a group of students in one learning unit is ready to move to the next I'd love to be able to move all of them at the same time.  It appears that I need to got to People > Edit sections > delete current section > add new section for each student.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

@GeoffreyWheeler -

You do have an easy access to the information needed.  download the gradebook.  there should be a sis user id column and  a sis login column as well (or at least I get one from my institution).  Therefore if the students are already in a section, then all of that is in a nice csv file which can be reduced to that single column and saved and then opened in a text editor copied and pasted.

View solution in original post

I tried it and it works very easily.  By "download" we mean:

Grades > View > Filters > Sections

In the drop down box select the section that you want to migrate/copy to a new section

Grades > Actions >  Export Current Gradebook View

The view is exported and downloaded.

Open the cvs/excel file

Select all the SSIDs in that column (no need to isolate the column and save as a text file)

Canvas > People > + People > SS ID  >  paste the list > Section (select you the one you want them to be added to).

Done

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @GeoffreyWheeler ...

I'm not sure if you are an instructor or a Canvas administrator at your school, but if you have a lot of students in your course, this may be easier to do using SIS imports.  If you are not a Canvas admin, you might want to have a conversation with the person who is at your school.  I know there are some admin Guides that can help with this process:

Admin Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Hopefully this might help you instead of having to manually switch people manually one by one in your course(s).

0 Kudos
I am a teacher and not a Canvas Admin. I wonder if someone has made an add-in tool to do this. I guess I'll just use People.
0 Kudos

@GeoffreyWheeler -

If I am remembering correctly, it is easy to add in multiple students to a section that you create,  You just need a list of their Login id's, their sis id or their email.  You can add them into the section through the add people just put all of one group of those id's separated by commas into the add box, select the permissions and the section that you have already created and add them in.  they will have to accept the invitation to join that section.

As for deleting the section, it sounds like you have done that before and it works okay.  Once you get the new section created with the students added(invitations sent), you can delete the old section.

Ron

0 Kudos

Ron, that would be good if you had an easily accessible list of the email addresses or ssid numbers.  This is not the case.  And there is no drop-down check list to choose from.  So this method is a little cumbersome.  Using People > Edit Sections is easier. Crosslisting seems to only work between courses, not sections with in the same course.  Thanks though.

0 Kudos

@GeoffreyWheeler -

You do have an easy access to the information needed.  download the gradebook.  there should be a sis user id column and  a sis login column as well (or at least I get one from my institution).  Therefore if the students are already in a section, then all of that is in a nice csv file which can be reduced to that single column and saved and then opened in a text editor copied and pasted.

I tried it and it works very easily.  By "download" we mean:

Grades > View > Filters > Sections

In the drop down box select the section that you want to migrate/copy to a new section

Grades > Actions >  Export Current Gradebook View

The view is exported and downloaded.

Open the cvs/excel file

Select all the SSIDs in that column (no need to isolate the column and save as a text file)

Canvas > People > + People > SS ID  >  paste the list > Section (select you the one you want them to be added to).

Done

@GeoffreyWheeler -

Glad you found it easy to do and it worked out for you.

0 Kudos