How to reset student assignment submission files ?

Jump to solution
BilalZafar
Community Member

Hello to Canvas Community!

One of my student submitted her assignment with the incorrect file and won't be able to resubmit it again as I was made this assignment restricted to only 2 attempts for my class.

Now I won't be able to see or access any option from my teacher's dashboard,  where I can reset her attempts. Looking forward.

0 Likes
1 Solution
PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Hello BilalZafar,

Sadly, there is not a quick way to reset student submissions in Canvas. The Assignments tool does not have the Moderate feature to allow extra attempts by individual students like the Quizzes tool does.

Also, limiting Submission Attempts can't be altered for one student, but when that option is modified it is applicable to every student enrolled in your course. While having the ability to modify Submission Attempts per individual student would have been the appropriate solution for your question, but that is not possible in Canvas as of now. However, I can think of one workaround here:

1. Open the Assignment in edit mode.
  2. Change the Submission Attempts from 2 to 3. (Since your assignment has 2 attempts.)
  3. In the Assign section, click the +Add button.
  4. In the Assign to field, select the required student.
  5. Modify the Available from, Until, and Due dates. (Hoping that Due/Until date is already passed for the entire class.)
  6. Click Save.

Although you are changing the Submission Attempts for the entire class, you are limiting the Availability and Due Dates to just one student. It is like you are reopening this assignment only for one particular student with a different due date.

Please make sure you do not remove Everyone from the Assign to field in the Assign section as that would remove all existing student submissions.

Please check this article for the same: How do I assign an assignment to an individual student?

Hope this workaround helps you.

Thanks!

Pallavi Jalakam

View solution in original post