I need to upload a large test bank where each question has a unique title, explanation for answer choices, and a list of outcomes or question tags.

Jump to solution
sargonza
Community Member

We will be creating questions banks, each with about 300-400 questions. The total number of questions across all assigned readings will be in the thousands. It will be almost impossible to manually add titles, alighn outcomes, and add tags to each question. Is there a way to upload all the question with these different components already? Also, is there a way to create quizzes in which you search through the tags or outcomes and ask the system to generate a specific number of questions aligned to each tag or outcome. For example, I could say, I need 10 questions on respondent conditioning, that is from the apply level of blooms taxonomy, and that is easy. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @sargonza,

Canvas, and honestly most other learning management systems on the market that I know about, utilize the 1EdTech QTI format for import/export of content.  If your info is already in this format, you should be able to easily import it into Canvas.  If not, you'd want to try to convert your banks to that format ideally.  You may also be able to add things using the Canvas API if you're a programmer-type person.

As for your second question, Canvas doesn't really have labels like that attached to banks as far as I know.  What I would suggest is breaking your banks up into smaller sections so you can then pick from those.  So instead of having a "respondent conditioning" with labels for difficulty and levels of blooms, you could have a "respondent conditioning - apply, easy" bank and another "respondent conditioning - apply, difficult" bank, and so on.  This might not be 100% ideal for your use case, but that's what would work in Canvas today.

You can also submit your labeling idea for questions in a bank to the  Canvas Ideas - Instructure Community  area of the Community here for future consideration by Instructure in the longer term.

Hope this info helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes