Inquiry Regarding SSO Implementation

Jump to solution
premsgr
Community Member

Dear Canvas Team,

I am reaching out to inquire about implementing Single Sign-On (SSO) with Canvas.

Currently, we have created a free Canvas account. However, we have encountered a limitation as the free account does not grant admin privileges. Without these privileges, we are unable to test and implement SSO, as per the documentation.

Could you please advise if it is possible to test SSO using a free Canvas account? If not, what are the available options or resources where we can create an account with the necessary privileges to test and implement SSO with Canvas?

Additionally, any links to documentation or resources that detail the process for setting up and testing SSO with Canvas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Prem sagar

Software Engineer 

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @premsgr,

Just for clarity, are you looking to test SSO for Canvas login, or are you looking to develop an external tool that would use the OAuth2 flow to perform Canvas API actions?  If you can let us know this, someone can probably give you even more guidance and point you in the right direction.

For either of the above scenarios though, I don't believe the Free-for-Teacher Canvas instance will do what you need.  As you have noted, that instance does not have admin functionality available to any end-users.  You'll probably need to either purchase an Instructure-hosted Canas instance, set up your own instance with the open source version of Canvas, or join the Partner Program to get an instance with admin abilities.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post