Is there a setting to hide new menu options in the course menu until needed?

Jump to solution
scott_maddeaux
Community Explorer

We have Lucid showing in all of our course nav without us adding it. Is there any way to set a default that any new features are hidden in the course menu until we want to expose it? The same thing happened when installing Badgr, and we had to edit every course that didn't have badging. We have hundreds of courses. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @scott_maddeaux ...

If you are a Canvas administrator for your school, you should be able to do this.  Here's how:

1. Click on "Admin" in the left-hand global navigation menu.
  2. Click on the name of your school account in the slide-out menu that appears.
  3. Click on "Settings" at the bottom left corner of your screen.
  4. Click on the "Apps" tab.
  5. Click on the "View App Configurations" button on the right side of the screen.
  6. Scroll down to the "Lucid Integration" row.
  7. Click on the gear/cog wheel icon for that row on the right side of the screen.
  8. Select "Placements".
  9. You'll see a checkmark next to "Course Navigation".  Click the checkmark to turn it into a "X".  This will inactivate "Lucid" from all courses in your Canvas account.  You could also do this for the "Editor Button" and the "Submission Type Selection" if you wanted.

This is all covered in the following Guide: How do I manage external app placements for a course?

I hope this will help a bit.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

Hi @mbmacdonald,

You can do this by setting the 'default' parameter for the course_navigation placement to 'disabled'.  For situations where you aren't using an inherited key for the tool config, this is a pretty simple addition to LTI 1.3 JSON.  In the case of inherited keys, like Lucid, things currently get more complicated.  You'd need to make this change using the API.  I do have a python script to assist in a change like this if you'd be up for trying that.  Additionally, if the inherited key is edited in the future, it may undo the manual API change, so you'd need to monitor for that and re-apply the change via API again as needed.

I have been asking Instructure to give admins more control over inherited keys, especially the default setting for course_navigation placements.  Like you, we don't want every external app under the sun to be in the course navigation by default, but we'd like to let faculty enable them if they wish.  Hopefully we see some action on this at some point.

Feel free to DM me here if you're familiar with python and need assistance with my script.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post