Is there a simplier way to add correct answers for fill in the blank questions?

Jump to solution
kheffernan1
Community Novice

I have tests that are fill in the blank. If the student is off by one letter (say they make it plural) its automatically marked incorrect. I have tried to foresee this in certain situations by adding additional answers in plural form, but there are ways students can still have a correct answer. For example, I ask for the answer, and they reply with "the answer" as opposed to "answer". Seems silly that Canvas doesn't have a button to override and accept the answer or an easy way to add that answer as to the answer bank for that question. That way you could use that word bank against other student's exams as well and be fair.

Just marking it red and wrong provides a lot of sticker shock to students when they see that all of their answers were wrong at some point, but then they have to check to see if i gave them points after all for their "wrong" answer. There has to be a simpler way. Anyone find a solution to this? Or can Canvas work on a way to do this..... please?!

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @kheffernan1  Welcome to the Canvas Community! This functionality is available for fill-in-the-blank questions in New Quizzes (check out "Close Enough," based on Levenshtein Distance): How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in New Quizzes?  If you don't yet see the ability to create a quiz in the new quiz tool, ask your local Canvas admin for information on getting started, and check out the resources in the User Group: New Quizzes

View solution in original post