Is there a way to lock an assignment so students can't work outside of class before the due date?

Jump to solution
lesliea_neilsen
Community Member

My question is that I assign a lot of essays and don't want students working on them outside of class to prevent using AI or other cheating.  I usually lock it and make it due at the end of class, but they get upset thinking they ran out of time even though I'll unlock it the next class.  Sometimes this happens when most kids finish within one block but a handful need more time.

Is there a better work around?

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @lesliea_neilsen 

You have a few options - if the course is published and you want them having full access to the course but not specific assignments at specific times your best bet is to use the "from" and "until" dates within the "assign to" box at the bottom of edit in an assignment. This is essentially a window of accessibility for the students to actually submit an assignment, discussion, quiz, etc. You can also single out more "assign to" boxes and give different students different windows to access and submit. Hopefully this helps.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/What-is-the-difference-between-assignment-due-da... 

View solution in original post

0 Likes